The body can easily absorb a diet of clear liquids.
They reduce stimulation of the digestive system and leave little to no residue in the intestinal tract.
This is why a clear liquid diet is often prescribed in preparation for a colonoscopy. Below you will find several examples of clear liquids, which are considered to be any liquid that you can see through and are easy to swallow.
Clear Liquids Used only the Day Before Your Procedure:
- Apple juice
- Coffee (without milk or creamer)
- Broth/Bullion (Chicken)
- Ginger Ale
- Capri Sun juice drinks
- Soft drinks (Mt. Dew, Sprite)
- Fruit ice
- Clear hard candy
Avoid the Following Liquids/Foods
- Orange juice or any fruit juice
- Regular soups
- Milk or dairy products
- Jell-O with Fruit
- All breads, meats, veggies, fruits
- Chewing gum
- Any food with small seeds (such as sesame seeds)
Information for Before Procedure:
- Please stop using all aspirin and aspirin containing products five days prior to procedure.
- If you take any blood thinners such as Coumadin or Plavix, Effient, or Agrinox, please discuss with Dr. Cofrancesco or Dr. Quijano whether or not you need to continue their use. Please inform our office if you are taking these medications.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight, except for heart and blood pressure medications. Remember to take medication with sips of water, enough to swallow pills, at least three hours before procedure time.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- You may wear your contacts or glasses
- You may brush your teeth the morning of the procedure.
- You may wear makeup, nail polish, but remove all jewelry.
- You may wear your dentures; if you are having an upper endoscopy, you will remove them right before the procedure.
- You will need a driver to drive you home.
- Register at the front desk 1.5 hours before procedure time.
- Nothing red or orange in color (including the magnesium citrate)